You can travel on balance throughout the Netherlands with your OV-chipcard. Recently, you can also travel on credit, with your contactless debit card or credit card, also on your mobile.
1. Contactless debit card or credit card, also on your mobile (OVpay).
OVpay is the new way of checking in and out in public transport in the Netherlands. What's new? If you travel second class and without a discount or subscription, you will be able check in and out! It is possible with your contactless debit card, credit card or mobile phone. You choose what suits you best. For more information check here.
The OV-chipcard is a card that allows you to travel throughout the Netherlands. You load balance on this card yourself. The card is for everyone who occasionally to very regularly travels by public transport in the Netherlands, both locally, regionally and nationally. In this video
you can see how it works.
You travel on balance with your OV-chipcard and you check in and out with your OV-chipcard.
|A discount product/subscription can be loaded onto the card.
|No discount product/subscription can be loaded onto the card.
|Automatic balance reloading is possible.
|Automatic balance reloading is not possible.
|Can be blocked in case of loss or theft.
|Can not be blocked in case of loss or theft.
|Validity: 5 years
|Validity: 5 years after production.
|For sale via: www.ov-chipkaart.nl.
|For sale at various shops
and service points in your region.
The recommended retail price of both an anonymous and a personal OV-card has been set at € 7,50. Make sure you have enough balance for your trip. A minimum of € 4 for the bus, a minimum of € 10 for the regional train and a minimum of € 20 for the NS if you travel on balance. You can order balance via our webshop.
A personal OV-chipcard is linked to a specific cardholder. When you use a personal OV-chipcard as a ticket, your identity must match the identity on the personal OV-chipcard and if it requires a passport photo, this must be a similar passport photo. You are therefore not allowed to use someone else's personal OV-chipcard.
You travel on balance with your contactless debit card or credit card and also on your debit card on your phone/smartwatch. You simply check in and out with your card. The public transport companies call this new form of payment OVpay. Knowing more? Check the national OVpay website
for the national developments.
The rates for traveling with the OV-chipcard can be found at www.9292.nl:
- Plan a trip via the public transport planner.
- The price for the trip is stated under the public transport advice.
- Click on all ticket types and choose the price of the trip with the OV-chipcard.
|Kilometer price allGo
|Boarding fare from €4,00*
|Basic fare and kilometer price
|20% discount (i.c.w. Always Reduction)
|34% discount (age discount)**
|40% discount (ic.m. Always Reduction + Scolar)
|34% + 20% discount (age discount i.c.w. Always Reduction)
* When traveling on balance, you pay a base fare plus an amount for each kilometer traveled. When you check in, a boarding fare is first deducted from your balance. When you check out, the boarding fare is refunded and you are charged for the kilometers traveled and the basic fare. In teh allGo busses the boarding fare is €4,00, for R-net €6,- and for the nightGo (N22/N23) it is €8,-.
**Children up to 4 years old travel for free. The age discount for balance travel applies to children aged 4 to 11 and persons aged 65 and older. Balance travel with an age discount is only possible with a personal OV-chip card.
You can load a balance on your OV-chipcard in various ways.
- At one of the service points nearby for example, our Service Shop at Almere station.
- You automatically reload balance.
- You order your balance online via our webshop (€ 10, € 20 or € 50) and collect it at one of the above service points.
Everyone misses a checkout sometimes. On uitcheckgemist.nl you can request your balance in three simple steps. You can request a refund for the following situations:
- Forgot to check out.
- Checked in with the wrong operator.
- OV-chipcard check-in/out posts on the platform are broken. Couldn't check out.
- OV-chipcard check-in/out posts in the bus are broken. Couldn't check out.